Friday, August 22, 2008

Broken Tooth

About 3 months ago, I was eating some peanuts, and I bit down on a particularly hard one. It hurt like heck for a few minutes, and then felt better. I didn't think too much of it, but over the next 3 months, I noticed that I have been unable to chew anything on that side of my mouth, without it hurting. Since we do not yet have dental insurance, I just learned to avoid chewing anything hard on that side. Well, last night, I took the kids to Sonic to get some ice cream, and I bought one of those new Fried Ice Cream Blasts. It has tiny pieces of cinnamon toast crunch pieces in it, and I didn't think anything of it, since they aren't that hard, and I chewed on that side of my mouth. I felt that same immense pain I had felt three months ago, and then noticed that I was chewing on something incredibly hard. Well, that turned out to be a corn kernel sized piece of my very back molar. Apparently, I had cracked that tooth 3 months ago, and it finally broke all the way off last night.
Luckily, there is absolutely no pain of any kind. No sensitivity, so swelling, no throbbing, nothing. I think I may be lucky as far as any exposed nerves or major problems. And that's a good thing since our dental insurance waiting period is not up until September 28. When Dave returned to his old job, where he had been working for 9 years before leaving for 10 months, he discovered that they had switched insurance plans, and now had dental insurance. But, that insurance had a 240 day waiting period before we could use it. That is completely ridiculous!!
To get me through the next month and a week, Dave bought me some Temparin One Step Repair at Wal-Mart. It's technically filling repair, but it should work to cover the entire top of the tooth, until I can get to the dentist. The break left a very jagged area on the inside of the tooth, and I cut my tongue on it sometime while I was sleeping. I also just want to make sure that no further damage is done to the tooth between now and the end of the idiotic waiting period, so I'm hoping this will work.
I have always had good teeth, and have only had 2 cavities in my life, and have 2 fillings in those teeth, so this is new to me. I am definitely not looking forward to a trip to the dentist, especially for whatever procedure awaits me to fix this tooth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey!!!! I hope the next month flies by for you so you can get in to see the dentist! (Is your appointment already made so you don't have to wait further?)

Dana B. said...

Yes, the appointment is made for September 30th at 12:30.
I ate lunch today, and there was absolutely no pain at all. That's not to say that I wont experience pain between now and the appointment date, but so far, I have been lucky.