Sunday, August 3, 2008

Auctions


Today, Dave, Dawson, and I spent the day at an auction in the small town of Douglass, Kansas. This was my first auction, and let me tell you, I'm hooked!
This particular auction was a moving sale for a widow who could no longer take care of her home on her own. Her home was beautiful, and it was set back off the road on a secluded 3+ acres of land. She is downsizing to a much smaller space in Wichita, so she had to part with the majority of her possessions. I was able to talk to her for a few minutes after the sale was over, and it broke my heart to hear what she was going through. But she was very happy that the items we had purchased would be put to good use. They all thought my little boy was adorable, and were happy that he would get to enjoy the items.
We spent much more than we had anticipated spending, but it was a fraction of the cost we would have paid for all of it in a store. Dave paid around $20.00 for all of the wood trim and boards he will need to finish our house remodel. We are in the process of fixing up our home to sell it, so anytime we can save a little money is a blessing!
I purchased just about every Christmas and Halloween decoration the woman had, and it was a very extensive collection. I picked up bags of miscellaneous items for $1.00, and there were some great finds! She said that she had been collecting odds and ends of holiday decorations for over 20 years, but doesn't have a reason to decorate anymore. There were cookie jars, unopened packages of Halloween lights, a large box full of Christmas bows, tags, ribbon, etc., 9' of lighted garland (free), and tons more. Let's just say that when the auctioneer has your number memorized, and looks right at you anticipating your bid, it's time to stop!
We also picked up a dining room table with 6 matching chairs for next to nothing. We are table poor as it is now, but we needed the chairs, so it was worth it.
They are having another auction on the 23rd, and we are planning on attending it as well. We were out there in the 100 degree heat for 6 hours today (I lost 3 more pounds. YEA!), and I hope it's a little cooler by then. I'm sure it won't be, but it doesn't hurt to dream. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *LOVE* auctions!!!