Friday, July 11, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

Even though it has been unseasonably warm here in Kansas, it is still hot and humid by summer standards. Instead of highs in the low to mid 100's, we have been experiencing temps in the upper 80's to upper 90's. Still hot, but a far cry from the sizzling 100 degree heat we are usually plagued with this time of year.

To help combat the heat, we set up a little swimming pool for the kiddos, and they LOVE it. (Please ignore my husband's hideous mess in the background. It is a work in progress, and has been for over 3 years now) It's small enough at only 3' high that Dawson is able to stand up straight, without fear, but large enough to keep them cool and entertained for a couple of hours a day. I must say though, that for a little pool, it still requires a heck of a lot of maintenance. I check the PH balance daily, and add Pool Shock and Chlorine every day, to prevent algae and keep it crystal clear. The pool has been "open" for almost 3 weeks now, and except for the 3 days that I was too lazy to maintenance it, it has stayed clear and algae free. The trick I learned was to mix the chemicals in a bucket with a little warm water before adding them to the pool. This helps the chemicals dissolve faster, before adding them to the pool. Even though the packages say they dissolve instantly, that is simply not the case. The first time I followed the instructions, there were chemical granules laying on the floor of the pool for days. Needless to say, this was not what I had intended, so I turned to my pal Google, and found this neat little tip from someone clear across the country who had the same problem. Her tip worked like a charm.

I purchased a pool skimmer at Wal-Mart for $9.98, and that has worked wonders for keeping the pool relatively clean. With our infamous Kansas wind, it's next to impossible to keep every fleck of dirt out, but the bigger pieces of dirt and cotton can be easily removed with the skimmer. Unless you're 4 years old, and your name is Dawson. Then you become agitated with the slow skimming process, and decide instead to just hold the wall of the pool down until you remove both the dirt and about 200 gallons of the water. True story. It wasn't that funny last Saturday when it happened, but looking back now, I find myself chuckling.

However you decide to beat the heat this summer, please stay safe, and make the most of your vacation, if you are fortunate enough to get one. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Break out the beer. I'm coming over and lounging in the pool!!!!

Julie

Dana B. said...

Dave drank all the beer, but would you settle for a Pomegranate Martini? I'll even put one of those cute little umbrellas in it for you. :)

Anonymous said...

ooohh! martini!
When have you known me to pass up alcohol?
Hello?!

Dana B. said...

The mix is so strong, that I have to dilute it with water, and add lemon and lime juice, and even sugar to get it down. It's 15% and burns going down. I think I'll stick to my cheap Boones Berry stuff. It's pretty good.